Friday, April 14, 2006

And In The Beginning...

I enjoy reading Kansas City blogs. Some are humorous, many political, all opinionated, but lots of great reads. I have always wanted to expand my writing skills beyond begging for grant money. So I decided to join the land of blogging, it looks easy….wrong! Only the sign-up was easy and then I came to the “first post”. What can I say, what should I say, do I have anything to say? I think it is called freezing.

Segue…
I had the misfortune to take a speech class my first semester in high school. The day of my first speech, and I have no memory of what it was about, I stood at the lectern a lowly eighth grader looking out on juniors and seniors. (Yes I was one of those poor souls subjected to the educational inquisition known as 8-5; eight years of elementary school and then directly into five years of high school. A cost cutting measure to eliminate middle schools. We were thrown right to the wolves. What I would have given for a Freshman Center.) Back to the speech. I think I did well the first three minutes and then I ran out of material and I froze… Deer in the headlights frozen. Later in the year our speech class put on a school assembly, as frozen boy I was assigned to lead the Pledge of Allegiance. With microphone in hand I started “I Pledge ….” Luckily, enough students knew the pledge that it drowned me out as I slowly lip-synched… I couldn’t remember the rest of the words. I froze on the Pledge of Allegiance. I remained frozen for the next two years.
Exit segue…

This is my first entry and I admire all you bloggers that have something to say and how elegantly you say it.

No comments: