Monday, May 08, 2006

Serendipity

Serendipity is a wonderful word. Not only the nonsensical, melodious way it flows off the tongue but also the meaning of the word.

ser~en.dip.i~ty: noun. Etymology: from its possession by the heroes of the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.

When I attended college, this time of year always seemed so great! A renewal, a break in things that were getting old. A chance to start something new. A world pregnant with possibilities.

Maybe that is why now, as I teach full time, the very season I loved drags so much on my soul. I don’t like saying goodbye to great students, people I may never see again. I don’t like having one measly week off and then starting all over again.

Okay, so you get the idea. I have been feeling sorry for myself. When I do that I have a tendency to stay-up too late, not do the important things I need to do, drink and play too much and give myself more reasons to get pissed off at myself.

The last thing I wanted to do last week was post such shitty feelings on a blog so I didn’t. But today as I forced myself to get a few required things done I begin to feel better. So just to take a quick break I opened a beer, fired up the internet and begin to read a few of my favorite blogs.

If you haven’t had a chance to read memyi.us May 6th then please do so. She knocked the feelings of melancholy and self-centered pity right up against the side of my head, just what I needed. Thank you.

I never got the chance to post the pictures of the great bookstore I wandered into in Baltimore, but strangely enough I did find one picture of a plaque outside the store. I’ve always been a sucker for good signage.Baltimore Bookstore PlaqueNow that I feel better I’ll get back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. It took me another day and a half after reading that poem to fully get out of my funk from that week.

I love that quote from the Baltimore bookstore. It also reminds me of this quote from the film Stone Reader that always stuck with me.