Sunday, June 10, 2007

Who is Ugly Betty?

Who is Ugly Betty? What is Ugly Betty? Where can I get more? I know I’m showing my age but I feel like a caveman that just woke up in a new world. Only yesterday the chic answer to, “do you watch TV?” was, “I wouldn’t be caught dead”.

Now the webpockets are aglow with reviews of what happened when, where, on what channel, at what time. Real or guerilla advertising. Who is to know? Whom? Is Britney wearing underwear? Near riots over the cancellation of Veronica Mars?

Should I realign myself with my Grandpa that sat glued to the TV every Sunday night as not to miss “The Ed Sullivan Show”?

The worse are the “reality” shows. Okay, I did watch the first season of Survivor, but it was my first season in Kansas City. I knew no one. I was a shy kid from the neither lands. I got a life, why can’t they?

However, if I could make a living out of watching TV (or internet video) and writing about it would I love Ugly Betty too? Major newspapers and blogs devote themselves to celebrative culture. (See Slate, Salon, Comcast). To think what great hope we had for the internet. Now corporate America, and us, is turning it into a cesspool of voyeurism of want-to-be people.

Please let me know the results of Paris Hilton’s tantrums. I am waiting breathlessly.

No comments: