Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rendezvous at the Kona Grill

Dulcinea went down to the crossroads to have her hair cut my Jimi at Imij (yes Hemingway that is a palindrome) yesterday afternoon. She called just as my day at school was ending asking me to come have a happy hour drink at the Kona Grill. She had commandeered a table in one of the large open windows of the bar that looks out onto the Plaza. She said she was in desperate need of help in fending off all the valiant knights that were intent on coming to her aid.

The Country Club Plaza was just a short hop south of my Hospital Hill location so I motored on down to join her. The breeze coming in through the open window was delightfully cool and our seating was shaded by a large ornamental pear tree. It was happy hour and several beverages and pupu’s were being offered at a goodly discount so we were determined to order from the happy hour menu as not to dilute our spending power. I love martinis, but not the sweet ones that were featured; I only drink beer when I plan to guzzle it so I settled on the baby Margarita. I think there was some tequila in among the salt and lime somewhere. Dulcinea had iced tea. After several drinks I was beginning to get a bit drowsy, although it may have been the sticky, sweet, hot spicy, fishy, delicious sushi rolls we were also consuming.

People watching being one of my favorite pastimes, I surreptitiously scanned the crowd. Surprisingly it was an interesting mixture of GenY, X and even a few baby-boomers thrown in for garnish. And evenly divided between X and Y chromosomes. The rumor was the big guys in the corner were team members of the KC Chiefs; if so they started in a league over their heads, failed to score and were being let go on waivers.

No comments: