Friday, June 12, 2009

On The Road - Day One


It rained all day my first day out of Kansas City. I left I-29 at St. Joe and turned straight north on US 71 to Clarinda, Iowa. Clarinda lays claim to both the birthplace home of Glenn Miller and the Goldenrod School (the birthplace of 4-H). I then cut over to US Route 59 to the beautiful little town of Shenandoah Iowa to see if the Corn Motel was still there. It wasn’t. I remember staying there on the way back from a summer in Canada in the early Sixties. It was the first motel that we had ever stayed at that had a swimming pool. My brothers and I were I heaven.


It was a deluge of rain when I drove through Ida Grove so I couldn’t stop. The town had a general motif sort of like castles. I’ll have to research more about Ida Grove, it was rather strange. I finally stopped for the night just into Minnesota in Worthington. I had a chance to stay at an old time motel but chickened out and went to the Holiday Inn Express instead. I couldn’t resist the lure of a swimming pool.

First I dropped by the local Wal-Mart to pick up some beer (which I found out later was 3.2 just like the old days of Kansas). Almost everyone in the store was Hispanic. Worthington is a big meat processing town.

No comments: