Saturday, December 02, 2006

I love snow!

The older I get the more I dislike cold. It makes my bones ache. Things no longer work well. I begin to understand why old folks migrate south to Gulf Shores and Naples.

But, I have to admit that as wonderful as the warm Thanksgiving weather was this year; it took freezing rain, and then a foot of snow to get me into the holiday mood.

Don’t get me wrong. I did have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I saw a brother I had not seen in years. Our family is small, we don’t DO things. This year we were all together. Enough of that, let’s just say it worked out well.

Then back in the metropolis of Kansas City my total holiday elation dived into a dark funk. I would say depression; except I so like the people with whom I work, they always bring a smile to my face, the students are wonderful, and as always patients continue to astound me with their positive attitude and good humor (Yes, there is always a few that I would like to…) . But something was wrong, missing?

And then it snowed. A total white, new, start over, erase the world, let’s have fun, no school, deep snow. Suddenly things were different. I made gumbo. I whisked off a grant proposal, I drank coffee. I visited my blog (which even had a comment).

Tonight is forecast in single digit temperatures. I don’t know if a foot of snow will cure my holiday blues but for now….Yes, life is good. As long as the pipes don’t freeze.

No comments: