Thursday, March 08, 2007

It Has Been Just One of Those Days...

When the alarm clock went off early this morning I did not feel well. I tried several times to get up and get going. Each time I ended back in bed exhausted. Finally I gave in and called in sick to work. When I don’t feel well the best thing for me to do is sleep. And I did, I slept for hours, almost all day.

Finally late this afternoon I awoke and tried to eat some of nature’s greatest healing food, Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup. Well, actually I was out of soup but the chicken favored ramen noodles did almost as well. Followed by a few sips of very cold iced tea and I’m almost good as new. Now my goal is to walk the dog, I’m going to try to make one whole block. This time of year it is usually dark by the time I get home from the city and we walk in the blackness. She won’t know what to do, walking in the sunshine. Maybe I should fit her with a pair of doggy sunglasses.

Later in the evening…

I can’t be sick any longer. Most of my friends are leaving for Austin and SXSW this weekend. I have to stay behind because the next weekend I leave for a professional meeting in New Orleans that will take most of the week.

It is with trepidation that I look forward to seeing the Crescent City once again. It has always been one of my favorite places to visit. I revel in the spirit, love the food, and find the diversity of human existence inspiring. But I have not been back since before Katrina.

A few friends that have returned to visit or to help say it’s not the same. The French Quarter is okay, many restaurants have reopened, but lots of the people have not returned. Most street performers have not returned; you hear very little live music. Most of the noise is recorded bands. I’ll give a full report when I return next week.

No comments: