Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Out of Hibernation

The amount of daylight is increasing every day. As the temperature slowly climbed above freezing the snow melted. Can spring be far behind? Hmmm, maybe? Here in Missouri we can still expect anything from a late winter blizzard to a riot of daffodils blooming tomorrow.

It is March and I should come out of hibernation. I haven't done a lot of anything since the winter weather arrived in early December. The problem with being inactive all winter is how much you get behind. I have so much to catch up on. I have to finish my income taxes, so I can fill out my FAFSA which was due March 1st. The VW license is overdue. The university wants my Faculty Accomplishment System (FAS) post haste.

What I would prefer to do is to take a long bicycle ride on the Little Blue Trace in a warm morning’s dazzling sunlight. I did go to the YMCA yesterday for a late afternoon swim. I've paid dues all winter and that was the first time I'd set foot in the door.

Speaking of a foot. Dulcinea broke a small bone in her left foot. We were just about to leave for Mizzou to see Cassiopeia’s acting debut in a production of “The Vagina Monologues” when she slipped off the last step and torqued off the head of the fifth metatarsal. Instead of seeing a play at Mizzou we spent the evening in St. Mary’s emergency room.

According to last Tuesday’s NPR Morning Edition, it is the bicentennial of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s birthday. You know the guy who wrote Paul Revere’s Ride and Hiawatha. Because Longfellow had such a wonderful ability to put nature in the context of the human soul the director in charge of the 200th celebration wants weathermen to use “The Longfellow Poetry Forecast”, quotations of some of Longfellow’s poetry while giving weather forecasts. She said, “Maybe he wasn’t writing a forecast, but he used this wonderful imagery as a segue in to his state of thought. It often matched the state of the weather.”

I thought this was a good one for Kansas City on most any winter occasion.

“The day is cold and dark and dreary
It rains and the wind is never weary.”

Or the Longfellow weather quote I prefer:

“Oh perfect day
Whereon shall no man work, but play
Whereon it is enough for me
Not to be doing, but to be.”

Happy soon to be spring!

2 comments:

tumple said...

I was looking at KC's weather forecast for next week to see what I'll get when home over my spring break, and one of the days was supposed to be sunny and in the 70s!! Hope so!

Ow & sympathies on D's foot bone. I did something like that once. No fun.

roos said...

Dulcinea thanks you for the sympathy. When I read your comment, out of the blue I thought of an old Spiritual, "Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones...the foot bone connected to the ankle bone...etc. Dem bones are gonna rise!"