Monday, March 19, 2007

A Mornin' in New Orleans


Sunday, 5:00am
New Orleans

Good morning, I’ve been up since 3am. I just couldn’t sleep; my mind is full of ideas. I suppose that is why the school sends people to conferences. The problem is they usually meet in great places, like New Orleans. Then they cram your day full of meetings and symposia which doesn’t leave enough room for fun.

Early yesterday morning when I left Kansas City it was “spitting” snow. As I was getting on the bus to the terminal there was a family getting off. They had waited all day yesterday for a flight to Houston and their carrier had just cancelled the flights for Saturday. All the planes were grounded in Newark due to the snowstorms.

I had forgotten that this would be Spring Break week for many. My flight was late leaving Kansas City. As we got close to Dallas the attendant began to give out gates for connecting flights. He began with Cancun, then destinations such as Honolulu and Miami. One woman on the plane was lamenting that they she was going to miss her connection to Ft. Lauderdale and she was scheduled to leave on a cruise at 4 pm. Good luck!

Okay, it is suppose to be sunny and in the 70’s here today, so I’m not going to complain. It’s almost daylight. I think I’ll take the Riverfront streetcar (It seems to be the only one now running.) to the French Quarter and the Café Du Monde for café aulaite and beignets. And I’ll still have time to make my first meeting.

No comments: